Student-Athletes and Parents:
Recently, the Governor’s Office announced that sports training for all school sports and non-contact sport competition (e.g., baseball, softball and tennis) can begin on May 26, 2020 with proper safety protocols in place. In addition, the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) will end it’s No Contact rule for school student-athletes and coaches on May 26 allowing coaches in all sports to conduct training for their student-athletes this summer. Grandview Heights has reviewed the State’s return to play safety measures and will take the following actions:
- Grandview Heights school teams and student-athletes may resume athletics activities on JUNE 1, 2020. Not all sports will choose to return on June 1 but if they do, they will need to follow certain safety protocols.
- Grandview will follow the State’s safety requirements which can be found on the State’s Coronavirus Web Site: State of Ohio Responsible Restart Rules
- All participation in summer athletic activities is VOLUNTARY. If student-athletes do not feel comfortable in participating due to Covid-19, they will not be punished in any way.
- Head Coaches will provide a training and safety plan to the Athletic Department prior to starting summer activities. Head coaches will communicate re-start plans to their individual teams.
- Grandview will re-start sports in phases. For phase 1 (2 weeks starting June 1) training sessions will be limited to a maximum of 10 student-athletes.
- Facilities and equipment will be sanitized and cleaned on a regular basis.
- Coaches will ensure that student-athletes do not congregate in large groups before and after training sessions.
- Training sessions will focus on skill development and social distancing will be incorporated into drills. No contact will be allowed and no scrimmaging/games will be permitted.
- Coaches will take attendance and ask self-check questions for Covid-19 before every training session.
- Any student-athletes who exhibits or tells of Covid-19 symptoms will be sent home immediately, parents will be contacted and AD notified.
- Any infected student-athletes will not be permitted to return until they are cleared by a physician and present documentation to the AD.
- The Wellness Center (weight room) will not open until specific protocols are developed and instituted by the Nationwide Children’s Hospital staff.
- Grandview Heights School athletic facilities will only be open for the use of Grandview student-athletes as supervised by a Grandview coach.
- Student-Athletes are encouraged to wear a cloth mask when not involved in training activities. Coaches are encouraged to wear masks as well at all times.
A detailed re-start powerpoint start up plan can be found on the athletics website in the Athletic Department Policies section under “MORE” Menu tab. We are hopeful that by taking these start-up precautions we will be ready to go for fall sports. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your child’s head coach or the Athletic Director, Mr. Bertani.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.